Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dummy Build


Like I posted before the Dummy is complete and in action. My folks came and visited for a week to hang out with their first grandchild. While the little dude did command most of the attention the Big Dummy definitely spent a bit of time in the spotlight.


In spite of a week of lousy weather, including a couple days of wet sloppy snow and high winds, my dad took the Dummy out on a couple of rides. ( He also rallied around town on my Cross Check a few times.) He got a big kick out of the Dummy's carrying capacity.


Mom walked to the store one afternoon to big up some groceries for dinner and was gone longer than we expected. When I called to check on her she was just getting ready to leave the store. I offered her a ride home on the Dummy and she accepted without hesitation.

With out further ado here is the build specs for all you bike geeks out there:

Frame: Surly Big Dummy w/ Xtracycle Longtail Kit

Fork: Surly Big Dummy

Cranks: Shimano LX

Bottom Bracket: Shimano LX

Pedals: Redline platform

Front Hub: Surly New Disc, 36 hole

Rear Hub: Shimano XT Disc, 36 hole

Rims: Alex DM24, 36 hole

Spokes/Nipples: DT Swiss 14 gauge, Brass nipples

Front Tyre: Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4" (soon to be swapped for a Big Apple)

Rear Tyre: Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35"

Front Derailer: Shimano XT

Rear Derailer: Shimano XT

Cassette: Shimano XT, 9speed

Front Brake: Avid BB7, 180mm rotor

Rear Brake: Avid BB7, 180mm rotor

Seat Post: unknown brand (given to me by my brother in-law.)

Saddle: Brooks B17 Honey

Headset: Cane Creek S3

Stem: UNO Ultralite

Handlebar: Origin8 Spacebar

Brake Levers: Avid FR5

Shifters: Shimano Deore, 9 speed

Grips: Redline



My mom giggled the whole way back from the grocery store.

1 comment:

  1. I'm flattered to be featured in Bike WRider - not sure if mom would say the same...

    ReplyDelete